Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gearóid Morrissey signs new contract !

Cork City have just announced that Gearóid Morrissey has signed a new contract with the club.

City boss Tommy Dunne was selighted with the Morrissey renewing his contract and had this to say: “I am very pleased that Gearóid has signed a new contract. When he signed in March, I said that I wanted talented local players like Gearóid representing the club, and I feel that he has a lot to offer. Gearóid is physically strong for his age and possesses very good technical ability also, and I believe he has the potential to be a very important player for the club.”

The 18 year-old joined the club at the beginning of the season following a spell with Blackburn Rovers, but was sidelined for a period with a back injury picked up while on international duty with the Republic of Ireland Under 19 squad, but Dunne believes that the midfielder is now ready to show his ability:

“Gearóid was very unfortunate to suffer an injury which dragged on and prevented him from playing. He has been working very hard to regain his fitness, and he is now not far off being fully fit. I was very impressed with his performance in Limerick last week, and believe he is now ready to compete for a regular place in the team.”

Morrissey, who began his career with Ringmahon Rangers, told CorkCityFC.net: “I’m pleased to have signed a new contract. It has been frustrating for me to have missed so many games through injury, but I am hoping to get a run in the team now and put that behind me. We’ve got a good squad here and I am confident about the future at the club."

No comments:

Post a Comment